Job Description: Head of Development and Campaigns
Salary: Commensurate with experience and responsibility
Location: Central London / Home-based initially
The 5% Club
The 5% Club was founded by a senior group of business leaders to tackle the twin social issues of youth unemployment and skills shortages. It is now looking for a dedicated and energetic individual to help drive this agenda forward, interacting with people at the highest level of business and government. The successful candidate will be instrumental in ensuring the Club both educates young people on the advantages of entering the world of work through “earn to learn” positions and businesses on taking the lead in providing these opportunities.
The organisation is focused on creating measurable momentum behind the recruitment and up-skilling of young people into the workforce. Its members consist of public and private sector employers in the UK who want to make a difference and support the UK’s ability to compete in increasingly tough global markets – and who do so by committing to having 5% of their workforce in formal training programmes as apprentices, graduate trainees or sponsored students.
Founded in October 2013, it is at an exciting point in its evolution. Started on a semi-informal basis by a handful of companies to promote skills training and combat youth unemployment, it now has over 170 members across the spectrum of size and sectors.
Major steps are now underway to ensure the Club’s sustainability – including hiring a Director General, seeking charitable status, creation of a steering Board of senior industry figures, formal funding arrangements and an agenda to drive membership. Together it is intended that this will enable The 5% Club to:
- Encourage businesses to take the lead on training the next generation
- Promote apprenticeships and other “earn to learn” opportunities as a positive career decision
- Be the voice for business on education and training matters
- Act as a vehicle for interaction between government and business to ensure that employers obtain the skills we require to compete effectively on a global basis
To help it meet these goals, The 5% Club is now seeking a Head of Development and Campaigns reporting to the Director General to oversee the administration, communication and fundraising aspects of its future strategy.
We are looking for a motivated all-rounder with solid experience and judgment, who will act as the first point of contact for The Club, managing relationships with our business members and working closely with the Board and Trustees. The right candidate will have first-class interpersonal and communication skills and experience of developing and delivering high quality and relevant stakeholder engagement campaigns.
Experience could be in any sector, but the right candidate will need to be able to demonstrate transferability of this knowledge to The 5% Club. In addition, they should exhibit a commitment to, and understanding of, the importance of skills for British business globally and for youth unemployment.
There is significant scope for this new role to be defined by the successful candidate, but it will include:
- Managing the day-to-day relationships with our business members and on-boarding new members
- Leading and delivering the implementation of our communications strategy to support building both the profile of The 5% Club and increasing membership; Acting as a first point of contact for the charity
- Developing and delivering an effective and sustainable strategy for maximising income from grant funding, trusts, foundations and individuals
- Managing designated budgets
- Staying up-to-date on policy developments, while identifying and shaping the influencing opportunities that can make change happen
- Delivering a programme of events
- Supporting the part-time Director-General (DG)in meeting the long-term goals for the organisation
- Preparing for Board and Trustee meetings
- Line management of graduate/apprentice team members
Person Specification, ideally the successful candidate will possess
- Experience of interacting and influencing senior leaders in business and government
- Ability to multi-task, act on initiative and strong organizational skills
- Excellent written skills (plain English) and effective interpersonal skills
- Fundraising and budget management experience
- Experience of dealing with the media and political stakeholders
- Confidence in day-to-day administrative tasks and event management
- Sympathy with The 5% Club’s approach and objectives
- Positive attitude, a creative and lateral thinker, particularly to new tasks and problem solving, used to working in a small team to deliver big outcomes
Application Process: Please email your CV, a supporting letter (including salary expectations) outlining how you meet the Person Specification to email@example.com
Closing Date: 15 July 2016